By Peter Borsay
A background of Leisure
- explores more than a few hobbies, from festive tradition and song to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and important process, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers a number issues together with economic climate, nation, classification, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent elements of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the heritage of rest and indicates new methods to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of numerous disciplines along that of historical past - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to supply a vital advisor to this attention-grabbing quarter of study.
Read Online or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
Texas is a various kingdom. however the something that binds Texans greater than their nation delight, much more than faith, is soccer. For the numerous cities and towns of Texas, highschool soccer is greater than a game or an extracurricular activity—it’s the glue in their neighborhood. writer grey Levy, a highschool soccer trainer for greater than 20 years, turned disenchanted with the nation of the schooling approach national and traveled to Texas, a spot the place highschool soccer nonetheless concerns, to work out simply what colleges and groups have been doing correct.
With company possible in all places on tv, from the hazards of the retail and eating place alternate to pitching for funding or competing to turn into the following 'apprentice', the tv marketers attracts upon well known business-oriented indicates reminiscent of The Apprentice and Dragons' Den to discover the connection among tv and enterprise.
This tough new examine examines gender and sexuality relating to the ‘roving colonialism’ of game mega-events. outfitted round 4 case reviews in postcolonial and settler colonial contexts—the Olympics in Vancouver, London and Sochi and football enthusiasts within the Egyptian revolution—the booklet examines wearing 'homonationalism' and anti-colonial resistance.
In his persuasive examine The everlasting current of activity, Daniel Grano rethinks the sport-religion courting by way of positioning game as a resource of theological hassle. targeting our bodies, time, move, and reminiscence, he demonstrates how adverse theology could be virtually and theoretically necessary as a critique of elite televised activity.
- More than Cricket and Football: International Sport and the Challenge of Celebrity
- Routledge Handbook of Physical Cultural Studies (Routledge International Handbooks)
- Critical Geographies of Sport: Space, Power and Sport in Global Perspective (Routledge Critical Studies in Sport)
- Native Games: 7 (Research in the Sociology of Sport)
- Violence and Aggression in Sporting Contests: Economics, History and Policy: 4 (Sports Economics, Management and Policy)
- Lehrwerkanalyse des Lehrbuches „TANGRAM“ in Bezug auf die Interkulturelle Kompetenz am Beispiel des Deutschunterrichts an japanischen Hochschulen (German Edition)
Additional resources for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500
A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 by Peter Borsay